6/27/2011

The Easy Steps It Takes To Blow Dry Like A Pro



After years and years of trying to blow dry my hair like my hair stylist would, I finally learned and I actually don’t hate blow drying it anymore bc I’m happy with the results. It took lots of practice to get the techniques you need to get a great blow out down. But I promise you once you understand them and are using the correct products and tools, you to will be able to get salon like results.

I’m sure there's a lot of you that already are satisfied with the results you get but for those of you that are still struggling or want to get some extra pointers, I decided to dedicate this post solely on how to blow dry your hair to get professional results. I hope you guys enjoy and please feel free to comment or add any tips you have. xoxo!

I absolutely believe that one of the main tools that will make a difference is the blow dryer your using. With blow dryers the price is really right. They can range anywhere from $10 to some that are over $100 (those most expensive are the professional ones that salons use). It all really depends on what your personnel needs are: (i.e heat settings, attachments, wattage, etc.)  If you have short hair or don’t use a blow dryer very often, then an inexpensive dryer with fewer options will likely work for you.  When you get into the $50+ range, you are investing in a dryer that will last longer, use newer drying technologies to reduce damage on your hair, and contain more options for cater to your hair needs.  While the more expensive, salon-quality models do tend to have all the bells and whistles, you can get a good, well-equipped dryer with great features for around $40 or $60. You want an ionic blow dryer with at least 1800 watts (will reduce the drying time and are less damaging to your hair), make sure it has variable heat setting with a cool button (that button is important). It should come with a diffuser and a nozzle for smoothing the hair.

Now that I got that out of the way lets get started! After you wash your hair instead of using your regular towel try paper towels.  Take 3 or 4 sheets and wrap around your hair to get out excess wetness. If the paper towels come away soaked, do it again. Then let it air-dry as long as possible, or wrap it in an absorbent towel, such as an Aquis Hair Towel ($18, amazon.com), to remove excess water. You don’t want to start blow drying your hair until its about 70% dry and don’t bother putting in your hair products yet either, hair really wet wont take in the styling products like you want them to.

I will start pre-drying my hair with the blow dryer on a medium heat setting and massage your roots while doing this. I wouldn’t do this for more than 10 minutes, the thicker your hair is the longer you’ll want to pre dry and vise versa for thinner hair. You always want to get your roots dried first so with your fingers lift your hair away from your roots while directing the blow dryer at the roots.

Once your hair is almost dry apply your products. I have normal to dry hair so I use a leave in conditioner right after getting out of the shower. Then when its almost dry I use Paul Mitchell’s Skinny Serum ,It helps smooth out the hairs and cuts down on drying time. The trick is to make sure you coat every strand, besides the crown because that will weigh the hair down. I flip my head over, use a dime size amount in my palms, rub your palms together and start at the ends and work your way up to the mid shaft. Then comb through your hair to evenly distribute. For volume I use Sauvé's Professional Root Boosting Spray, spray the roots by parting hair into 1-2 sections and continue to mist evenly through roots and mid shaft. Everyone has a different hair type so you’ll probably have to experiment with a few different products before you find the right ones for your hair. Once you do find the right mixture, it will make your life a lot easier. Smile 

I have thick hair so I like to part my hair into a lot of different sections. Like the diagram on the right shows. But if your lucky to not have as much hair as I do,  you can just do three sections, from the top, the middle and the nape.( on the diagram that would be numbers 1, 4 and 6). Leave the nape section loose because this is where you'll begin blow-drying. You might have been told to start blow drying your bangs and front section first and if it works for you go with it, but I personally have tried it both ways and prefer doing the front section last, my reason is bc I feel it’s easier to start at the bottom and work your way up because when you drop the hair down, you aren’t putting dry hair on top of wet. It’s also easier because you can see what you are doing more easily. (just my personnel preference).

As far as brushes, if you want a very straight look you can use a paddle brush but if you want a straight look with some volume use a big round brush (my favorite brush). It can be tricky to use at first but once you get it down it’s a no brainer. I used to hate using these brushes bc I didn’t know the correct way to use them but now that I do I love them. To use the round brush, take a section of hair that is about the same width as the brush. Place the hair over and around the brush. Apply the dryer and rotate the brush as you dry. The bristles work to smooth each hair as they rotate. If this seems to be too  complicated, leave out the rotation of the brush. Always point the nozzle attachment on your dryer facing down the hair shaft. This helps to flatten the cuticle for the sleekest results. Once your done with the bottom half, unclip the middle section.

You want to achieve some volume in this section.  I do that by placing the brush right under the section of hair, and then bringing the brush up. Direct the dryer flow against the hair as you lift to lock in volume, then smooth through the rest of the strand as usual.

Extra Tips: Remember when your section is dry, use the cold shot button on your hair dryer for a few seconds to set the shape

                 As you dry, turn and move the brush toward the ends of your hair.

When your done with the middle section unclip the top and you'll want to dry your bangs in a desired style, depending on the length and cut of your bangs. Typically bangs respond better when dried forward, but you will have to experiment to see what works best for your hairstyle. For me, I like to spend the most time on this section bc I want to achieve volume while framing the layers around my face.  I do that using my large round brush and blow drying the hair forward and up while over directing the hair. This creates a great deal of volume and body especially when used with a volumizing mouse or spray.

Before you put away the blow dryer, feel with your hands that you haven’t missed any areas that are damp. You might want to go over you bangs again with either the blow dyer or a flat iron to achieve your desired style. After your hair is dry to the touch, give it a blast of cool air to set the style in place. Finally, massage a pea-size amount of smoothing serum (or styling cream) into the ends to flatten fly aways, and pat the top of your head with your hands so that any residual serum will level shorter, broken hairs that tend to stand up around the crown.

So that’s it, I hope this was somewhat helpful and not confusing. Let me know loves xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog. I really do appreciate it and read every single comment. I do my best to respond to every single one as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...