11/09/2011

Wednesday's Beauty Tip


Beauty Tip of the Week


ACNE?
TRY TEA TREE OIL

Have you ever thought of trying using tea tree oil if you suffer from acne? I'm not saying you have to have severe acne either, I bought a bottle of this to use as a spot treatment. I even dab it on parts of my face that are known for breaking out even if there are no visible blemishes. By doing this for a few months I noticed less blemishes and even some scaring I had seemed to fade away. If you don't know what is in tea tree oil let me tell you: 



Tea Tree oil is extracted from leaves of a tree native to Australia, well known for its anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. It is used for a number of things, including bad breath, athlete's foot, cold sores, body odor and acne. It is effective in killing the bacteria which causes acne and that's why it can help treat and prevent breakouts.

HOW TO USE IT: This is important because it is very strong and shouldn't be applied directly to the skin without diluting it (at least for the first few times).  When using tea tree oil on your face, dilute it depending on your skin type. For example: normal to oily skin- mix 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water, sensitive skin- combine 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts of aloe vera gel. 
If you feel that your skin can handle more of the tea tree oil you can dilute less of it, I don't dilute it at all anymore but that's because I've been using it for a while and don't apply a large amount. 

HOW TO APPLY IT:  Wash your face with your normal cleanser and pat dry. Apply the tea tree oil to a cotton ball and apply a light layer to your skin. Or if your going to use it as a spot treatment apply to a Q-Tip and apply a small amount onto the affected area. NEVER APPLY THIS TO SKIN THAT IS BROKEN, IT WILL STING!!

In studies, tea tree oil has proven to have less side effects than products like benzoyl peroxide. You've probably seen many acne treatments that contain tea tree oil, they are usually expensive and don't use the right amount. That's why I like to use my own remedy. You can find a bottle of tea tree oil in either health food stores or maybe Walgreen's or Walmart. I bought mine at Walgreen's for $7.99. It's a small bottle but you wont go through it quickly. Oh and one more thing, I should warn you that the smell is not the most pleasant odor. It has a very strong medicine like scent, but I noticed the more I used it the less I noticed the smell. So don't freak out the first time you use it lol, you will get used to it. 

Have you ever tried using tea tree oil for acne or products that contain tea tree oil?


Click the links below :)

Photobucket





12 comments:

  1. I love products that have tea tree in them, theyve always worked well for me. Shame this isnt in the uk, sounds good.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I'm surprised they dont sell tea tree oil in the UK. Well if you ever come to the US make sure to pick some up!
    Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thnx for sharing kelly <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beckysmakeupandbeautyblogs3:46 PM

    You can get pure tea tree oil from the Body Shop in the UK for about £4.99 - I use it all the time, they even have a range of tea tree products which me and my bf love - hope this helps.

    Great post Kelly. xx

    Becky 
    http://beckysmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tea tree oil! I never used it for acne before but I'll try it. I personally like the medicine smell it gives off.  Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautybyarielle10:17 AM

    If you have blackheads, I've tried this method before, add hot water to a stopped bathroom sink then a drop or two of the tea tree oil. Then place your face over the water with a towel behind your head to steam your face. It helps open and clarify the pores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? Sounds like a good tip! Thanks for sharing. Im gonna try this :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You like the smell?? lol. Well, thats good for you. Just like some people like the smell of gasoline (like me)! i love it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been curious about using tea tree oil. Good to know. I may try this some time, but diluted for sure since I have sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! If you have sensitive skin, make sure to dilute it. It smells horrible lol but it's really good for your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan McMahon9:40 AM

    I love tea tree oil! I did a post like that on my blog too! I used it a was to get rid of a bump near my nose ring, I got the bump from irritation and it went away in days when I was doting tea tree oil on twice a day. So I read this post in passing a while ago, and I just had to come back and thank you.  I've been using it at night as a toner, then I put vaseline all over my face to keep it from drying out. I've seen a vast improvement of my acne and even the smoothness of my face. Thanks for the suggestion of using it as a toner. I used to use it just one every other week in a mask. I like the toner way so much better. The mask was a bit messy. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your welcome :) Im glad you I could help. I really think it helps as a toner and as spot treatment like you used it. I just hate the smell lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog. I really do appreciate it and read every single comment. I do my best to respond to every single one as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...